Monday, February 3, 2014

Week Nineteen: Gringoes in Cartavio

I'm over one sixth of the way done with my mission. If my mission were a guitar, I've already completed the low E string. If my mission were a game of Trivial Pursuit, I've already earned the misc slice. If my mission were Star Wars, I've already watched all of The Phantom Menace.  Weird.

In this weeks email, I just wanted to tell you all about two people in Cartavio.

Here's a little picture to make you all smile: A shirtless Latino snuggling with a bunny


1. Jello Man.
Just like all of Latin America, people sell stuff in the streets here. One man sells jello (in Spanish, gelatina) out of little baggies. It's like if you filled a sandwich baggie with jello before you put it in the fridge. He speed walks down the street at the speed of light.  He is the only person in Cartavio who walks faster than we do. And he yells at the top of his lungs, "GEEEEEELATINAAAAAAAAA" (pronounced "hell-uh-tee-nuh") For the first few weeks, it was annoying. Then we tasted his jello. Now, whenever he sees us, he just pulls out two jellos and waits for his money. That guy is a legend in my eyes.

2. Caroline.
The other day , Elder Leavitt and I were walking and I said, "Doesn't she look kind of white" He said "Yeah" We passed by and said "Buenas tardes" and she said "Hey guys, how are y'all doing?"  It turns out that she is from South Carolina and is here with the Peace Corp to work at a special ed school that happens to be owned by two members of the church. It was so weird introducing myself in English. But now there are 3 gringoes in Cartavio. What up.

Love you all. Bretheren, adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment